OT: Forgery on moderated lists

2004-09-05 09:58:58

Dean Anderson <dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com> wrote:
Moderated mailing lists have also had less problem that unmoderated lists,
even though it is trivial to forge an on-list from address to post on a
(subscriber-only) moderated list.  I've always found it strange that
abusers are so 'ethical' that they don't forge from addresses to get on
moderated lists.

  They do.  Not often, but they do.  I can't find the articles now,
but I have seen them in the past few months.

  In addition, I'm regularly receiving spam "from" people I've
exchanged messages with on public lists.  It's clearly forged, but the
spammers obviously believe that such forgery is useful.

  Alan DeKok.