RE: TECH-ERROR/DOC-BUG: empty fields in -pra

2004-09-06 06:10:42

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-mxcomp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Graham
Murray
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 8:42 AM
To: ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: TECH-ERROR/DOC-BUG: empty fields in -pra

<terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com> writes:

The header fields are there for a reason, its an inline log
of the email to assist mail
administrators to diagnose email issues (not just
forgery/phishing, but also routing issues,
secondary MX issues, etc).  (Or allow skilled email users
to analyze validity of incoming mail).

Suppressing this type of information is unacceptable to me,
and my admins who are told to look at
the headers BEFORE calling support.

I agree with all of that. Yet at the moment there is no PRA header
inserted by the MTA. All the other headers would be left intact and
No, that's not what I saw proposed; specifically I was objecting to:  "If this
were done then it
would be necessary to specify that the MTA MUST remove any such headers already
in the mail."

From the earlier message.

That is what I was objecting to.  I understood that to mean that some or all
headers the PRA was
based on would be removed.  Was my interpretation incorrect?

Terry

each email would have just one additional header (showing the PRA as
calculated and authenticated) inserted by the final MTA or MDA. This
would be useful to both the MUA and the admin examining headers. So
nothing would be taken away from the information currently available.