[DEPLOY] General Issue w/ISPs blocking Port 25

2004-09-06 12:30:07

Since a few days, I check for SPF records at the MTA, and I noticed one particular issue. I'm not sure whether the drafts (-submit) are the right place to mention this issue, or whether some BCP would be appropriate.

I've encountered a number of ISPs where users are unable to do outbound connections with dst port 25, but are limited to the ISPs Smarthost. Although I haven't seen it yet, but I suspect that Port 587 as per RFC 2476 (Message Submission) may be blocked as well if it's use is adopted more widely.

Obviously, that is pretty efficient to stop certain categories of junk (-sources), and is generally not an issue, if the Smarthost allows arbitrary 821/822 From's.

However, with strict SPF (or SenderId) checking, this /does/ become an issue, since a domain owner will most likely not add some random Smarthost to the list of designated mailers.

-submitter mentions the use of SUBMIT briefly, but maybe the implications of the (how common?) blocking of dst port 25 should be mentioned.

-- Matthias

PS: The naming of SUBMITTER vs. SUBMIT protocol is somewhat confusing.

--
Brain-Log                               http://matthias.leisi.net/