Re: DEPLOY: microsoft SenderID wizard seriously flawed, unusable

2004-09-09 08:00:05

Koen Martens wrote:

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 09:55:55AM -0400, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

Koen Martens wrote:

Microsoft has sponsored a 'wizard' to create SPF records, it's
online here:

http://www.anti-spamtools.org/SenderIDEmailPolicyTool/Default.aspx

However, the wizard is seriously flawed. For example, it suggests
you to enter ip adresses to be used with the a mechanism,
producing for example:

[....]

A quick WHOIS check determines that the domain belongs to "Aditi Technologies" which is an outsourcing company in India.

A quick glance at the web-site determines that the site is sponsored
by microsoft. Why is microsoft sponsoring a wizard that creates
invalid spf records? If microsoft is not indeed sponsoring this site,
why has the 'sponsored by microsoft' banner up there for months now?

It sounds like they outsourced the work to India and the outsources botched it up. I don't see any malicious intent here, simply lack of foresight. But we can always ask Jim and Harry...

Yakov