RE: SPF abused by spammers

2004-09-10 06:54:49

<snip>
Dean,

 You are missing where this is a GOOD thing. We WANT
spammers to use
SPF. This will allow us to identify, publish, process,
shred, pillage,
burn, destroy the IP addresses that this stuff is coming
from. Nobody
is doing less stringent processing of the email that passes an SPF
check. It just makes it easier to block when identified.

SPF doesn't make it easier to identify spammers.

<snip>

 I didn't say it did. How I identify the IP as a spammer is up to my
other processes. What it DOES do is allow me to make a informed decision
on whether or not to block that IP. (I am not sure how many different
ways I can try to explain this fact but here is another one)
 Only people that don't understand what SPF actually does say that SPF
blocks spam. Now I do know that pobox has said something to this effect,
but it is my belief that they were writing that statement with the
end-user in mind. Basically, never mind HOW it blocks spam, just that it
will. It is up to the system admins and programmers to determine the
HOW.
If someone of intellect higher than your average bumblebee can't see
where being able to prevent domain forgery is a good thing and being
able to put an IP address to a real domain is a great thing.... Then
bumblebees may eventually rule the world.

Regards,
Damon

*****
it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged
material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. 113