Re: SPF abused by spammers

2004-09-11 15:08:39

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Peter Bowyer wrote:

From: Dean Anderson <dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com>

(Sorry if I got the attribution wrong - confusing bad quoting and
top-posting going on)

It has been reported that AOL is already using SPF to give reduced
filtering to SPF-using domains. Is this a good idea?

On its own - no.

Fortunately, it's not what they're doing - they're using SPF for
exactly what it was intended - as part of their reputation system.
They use SPF to confirm that a mail purporting to come from an
organisation on their whitelist is not forged.

Domain on whitelist + SPF Pass = less filtering.

This is exactly what I said. And this is a bad idea for the reasons I
posited.

                --Dean