Re: SPF abused by spammers

2004-09-15 06:28:51

On Sep 15, 2004, at 8:19 AM, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 09:19:30PM -0400, Margaret Olson wrote:
Accreditation: why would I care?

By this I mean: can you give an example of how this would change my
opinion based on their reputation?

Very small senders won't have the volume to create a statistically
significant reputation. But if they are accredited ("this is a shoe
shop, established in 1985, uses good practices") and the reputation
data is essentially empty, then you know something.

Basically what you're saying is that accreditation is a form of
using someone else's reputation?

Yes.

IOW the number of reports on $shoeshop is too low to be of any value
as far as reputation goes, but since $bigisp tells they're OK, I can
see if I trust $bigisp to see if I want to trust $shoeshop?

Yes, although I think it's the accrediting agency you would decide if you trust and I doubt the accrediting agency would be an ISP over the long run. ISPs have a conflict of interest. You would decide if you trust the accrediting agency. This market is emerging - look at the IADB, the Verisign product, and many others.