minor comments on draft-ietf-marid-protocol-03.txt

2004-09-17 16:14:20

First, thanks to the authors of the docs for all of their hard work!

Sorry if this is too picky, but I think RFCs (which is hopefully where
we are headed :) should be as close to perfect as possible since they
will be around for a long time.

And now, on with the nit-picking...

Section 1.2
-----------
drop the "a"?
        use the Sender-ID checks as part of the a larger set

Should be "are"?
        While the tests as a whole or optional

Insert "as"?
        it must as performed specified

Section 1.3
-----------
Should be "ensures" (i.e. plural)
        This ensure that

Section 2
---------
Drop "to"
        SPF records to declare

Should be "a scope of pra and mfrom" ?
        spf2.0/mfrom,pra +mx +a:colo.example.com/28 -all
        This record has a version of "spf2.0", a scope of "pra", and ...

Section 2.1
-----------
Drop "with" or "via"
        When published with via the SPF RR type

Section 2.1.5
-------------
Should be "then that record"
        then record MUST be treated

Section 2.1.8
-------------
should probably get moved up to appear after 2.1.2

Section 3.5
-----------
maybe briefly define "terms" here?
i.e. it is used in the ABNF but not defined until 3.6.1 which will leave
a new reader wondering

Section 3.6.1
-------------
Same as above.  Maybe include something here like:
        domain-spec : See Section 3.8
        macro-string : See Section 7.1

Section 4
---------
Should be "addresses"
        a set of <ip> address

In general, it is confusing to read this section and distinguish
between:
   <ip> - the IP address of the host under test
and
   An IP Address returned by DNS lookup triggered by an SPF record
directive

Maybe that could be clarified a little further?

Should be "a comparison"
        mechanisms that perform an comparison

"CIDR-length" is used here for the first time without being defined
anywhere

Section 4.3
-----------
"dual-cidr-length" isn't defined anywhere until Appendix A

Section 4.4
-----------
Maybe should specify "a DNS A record query" for clarity and consistency
with Section 4.7

Section 4.5
-----------
Extra ";"
         if the <target-name> and a validated hostname; are the same

Section 4.7
-----------
Maybe this:
        The domain-spec is expanded as per Section 7
should be:
        The <domain-spec> is macro expanded (see Section 7) and becomes
the <target-name>
to be clear/consistent. (e.g. Section 5.2)

Actually, I'd be OK with just saying "target-name" since that is already
defined back in Section 3.8. :-)
(this happens several times thru the doc)

Should be "enables"
        This mechanism enable queries

Section 5
---------
Maybe provide an example of the deprecated "default" modifier so we know
what to ignore. :-)

Section 5.2
-----------
Should be "TXT or SPF"
        The DNS TXT record

Section 6.2
-----------
Insert "of"
        keep the number include directives

Section 7.1
-----------
Maybe "on their mechanisms and modifiers"
        on their arguments

The difference between these two:
        o = domain of <sender>
        d = <domain>

is not well defined.
Furthermore, I don't think "d" is described at all in the following
paragraphs.

Section 8
---------
Pick one  :-)
        is assumed to be correct true

Should be "might be" since this is probably not a valid assumption
        Since this message is eventually shown to a user

Section 12.2
------------
Include reference to DNS (1035) and/or CIDR (1519?) RFCs here?

Appendix A
----------
I think we have an extra "/" for the ip6-cidr-length scenario:

        dual-cidr-length = [ ip4-cidr-length ] [ "/" ip6-cidr-length ]
        ip4-cidr-length  = "/" 1*DIGIT
        ip6-cidr-length  = "/" 1*DIGIT

e.g. unless "//128" would be correct?

I don't think "name" should be defined in the middle of "macro-char"
Probably after "scope-id" would be more appropriate.

Appendix B.1
I think this should be "192.0.2.140/30 passes"
   spf2.0/mfrom,pra mx/30 mx:example.org/30 -all
      -- any sending host in 192.0.2.128/30 or 192.168.2.140/30 passes

i.e. "0" instead of "168"

Respectfully,
Nate