draft-ietf-marid-protocol-03 (was: New Drafts)

2004-09-22 20:06:33

Mark Lentczner wrote in mxcomp (list of the former MARID WG):

draft-ietf-marid-protocol-03

Now after the IETF has closed MARID, and the IESG has not yet
accepted my appeal, I guess it's the best to continue all SPF
discussions in spf-discuss for the moment.

For SPF I'd like to see an update of draft-mengwong-spf-01.txt,
reflecting all the work that has gone into protocol-03.  The
syntax in protocol-03 is much better than the original syntax.

We probably can't use the stuff about different scopes for now,
therefore I propose to remove this from the "protocol", and
return to the original v=spf1 prefix instead of spf2.0/mfrom.

Without the IETF we can also remove the parts about a new DNS
RR SPF and return to the plain TXT approach.  That's not very
elegant, but the TXT "v=spf1" syntax _is_ common practice, and
introducing any incompatability with this common practice makes
no sense at this moment.

AFAIK the Received-SPF: header in draft-mengwong-spf-01.txt is
the only interesting part of "classic SPF" not yet covered by
protocol-03 plus mailfrom-00.

There are still a lot of minor issues with protocol-03 and
mailfrom-00, but I'm most interested in salvaging as much as
possible from this "fun ride" (quoting Yakov Shafranovich).

                   Bye, Frank