RE: Article with Microsoft comments on future of Sender ID

2004-09-28 12:59:49

And correct me if I'm wrong :), but the same also applies to the IETF
Working Group as neither WG nor chairs of WG make decisions about
documents going to standard or experimental status, instead they make
recomendation to IESG which is the ultimate decision maker on status
of IETF documents and which is supposed to make these
decisions based on
both recomendation of the WG and based on comments received
from other
IETF participants during last call for the documents.

Not exactly.  It's more typical for working group document status decisions
to be made as part of the working group chartering process.  The expected
working group outputs (documents, including their standards track status)
are documented in the charter.  IETF review is part of the chartering
process, so the issue of document status is ultimately one discussed within
and recommended by the community.  Changes can be made over time; we have
processes for that.  The IESG does have final approval authority, though.

The situation is a bit different when a working group is unable to complete
the work outlined in the charter; see section 4 of RFC 2418.  At that point
the documents can be abandoned as unfinished work or they can be pursued as
individual submissions outside of the working group.  RFC 2026 describes the
options.

-Scott-