Re: Processed-By (or Transmitted-By) header concept

2004-10-01 01:16:56

From a purely engineering point of view, it is nice and
reasonable. But for producing actual outputs, I doubt you will be able
to update RFC 2821 and 2822 on Received headers in the short term. Or
to modify the code of several MTAs.

Fair point.
What I'm actually proposing, though, is that a new, stricter, specification
for Recieved(etc) be written as an interim measure which would not obsolete
2822 but compliment it. Eventually the next iteration of 822 et al could
obsolete our rfc and adopt the chnage.
So.. an MTA could continue to implement rfc2822, and optionally implement
our new RFC by constructing the headers with as much optional information
as is incuded in 2822 and required by us.
I think that most MTA's already validate and publish some degree of
optional information in received headers, and some of them can have this
behaviour changed by config alone.

d.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s)
only. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the
message to the intended recipient) please notify us immediately on 0141 306
2050 and delete the message from your computer. You may not copy or forward it
or use or disclose its contents to any other person. As Internet communications
are capable of data corruption Student Loans Company Limited does not accept
any  responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent. For
this reason it may be inappropriate to rely on advice or opinions contained in
an e-mail without obtaining written confirmation of it. Neither Student Loans
Company Limited or the sender accepts any liability or responsibility for
viruses as it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Opinions and
views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and may not reflect the
opinions and views of The Student Loans Company Limited.

presence of computer viruses.