Re: A new SMTP "3821" [Re: FTC stuff...........]

2004-11-26 18:27:43

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Gal" <ThomasGal(_at_)LumenVox(_dot_)com>
To: "'william(at)elan.net'" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net>; "'Alan DeKok'"
<aland(_at_)ox(_dot_)org>
Cc: "'MXCOMP'" <ietf-mxcomp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2004 11:43 AM
Subject: RE: A new SMTP "3821" [Re: FTC stuff...........]

Again.....it's incredibly short sited to think that email will be a
forever
pervasive medium. While we need stopgap measures, trying to redesign SMTP
is
a waste of time. I think we're all much better off putting our efforts
into
making sure next generation messaging technologies don't have the same
flaws, than bothering a lick with changing SMTP. Perhaps helping to prod
everyone into using all the standards that are out there already for mail
transport and handling, and implementing them properly is a good idea. The
next generation is already on it's way......

That's all fine and dandy.  The last revamping in the industry came from one
where there was a multiple market of formats and transport systems. No real
standard. The "new" internet offered a common ground and thus it became very
prudent for market vendors to being the migration towards the new common
standard.

However, I don't see the "NG" going to have to same effect today, not as a
answer to the spam problem.  The industry cost would be too vast to have a
revamp to a NG.   While NG is on its way and many already feel they already
have a NG system, such as our own, specifically our issue is the external
interface into the system,  the INTERNET gating into our backend framework.
So in my opinion, it is unrealistic to believe a NG is going to be our
"solution."   You will still need to deal with the outside world.

But this is besides the point.  No one, atleast not me, nor anyone else I
believe, is suggesting a complete change to the SMTP system.  What I am
suggesting to look at the protocol to see what is wrong and what can be done
TODAY to fix the key issues with it.   People who have analyzed it
thoroughly along with analyzing the proposal add-ons, can gain from having a
common new ESMTP or expected mode of operations.

IMO, MARID failed because of this lack of analysis.   This lack of analysis
has provided a no-win situation for many of the proposals which all come
back to the same thing - how is SMTP used.  Besides the IP issues with it,
one required it to work this way, the other required it to work that way.
One doesn't require a change at all while another requires a drastic
compliancy change, etc, etc.

What are the common issues here?   I know some answers to that.  Do you
(speaking in general)?       These needs to be debated widely and IMO, I
believe strongly that the proposals will benefit from having a common
expectation of how SMTP will work, and then some.

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.
http://www.santronics.com