Re: Abusive blacklist

2005-01-11 15:24:24

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Dean Anderson schrieb:
Terry, you are using an abusive "blacklist". SORBS, like ORBS, has no
qualms about lying about those they don't like.

In our case, they don't like the fact that I revealed their secret
spam support operations. (They scan for open relays and then give
that information to abusers.)

Do you mean that they give the information to the general public,
abusers included, or do you mean something else?

I think Dean meant that they scanned for open relays and compiled blacklist
and made that blacklist available for general public including by zone
transfer (i.e. abuser could easily get entire list). That is not an issue
any more as almost nobody runs open relay any more and abusers have moved
to other ways to distribute spam (which are even worth - now instead of
simply using somebody elses resources without authorization to relay through
they are hacking and taking over somebody elses machine with specialized
viruses to do that).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks