Re: "If you believe that the SPF concept is fundamentally flawed, please subscribe at http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/"

2005-05-25 18:03:03
Douglas Otis wrote:
The following is a greeting when subscribing to spf-discuss:
'---
[...]
the SPF concept.

True.  Constructive criticism is welcome, but the SPF community is for the
largest part convinced that the concept in itself is not fundamentally
flawed, so any criticism that implies the contrary is not considered
constructive.

We have had so many flamewars on spf-discuss in the past that it seriously
disturbed any constructive work.  That made us, who were concinved of SPF
and wanted to get some real work done, draw a line.

There are many forums where destructive criticism about SPF is welcome.  If
you need one, you know where to find one.

However, problems related to SPF have become even more
pronounced since dissolution of the MARID WG.  Sender-ID has usurped the
initial SPF record for PRA evaluation, and is advising use of methods in
conflict with bounce-address validation efforts.

Obviously, this is not an inherent problem of SPF, but a problem of the
Sender-ID drafts.  We are currently working with the IETF to resolve this
issue.

The Sender Authentication Whitepaper, passed on to MAAWG from the FTC
conference, has not undergone requested changes.  There are several
assertions that remain misleading and in error.

SPF _is_ fundamentally flawed as it removes accountability from the
email providers, at the expense of the domain owners and consumers.

This is a highly subjective assessment, nothing more.

Contrary to the promotions, SPF will not stop spam.

Who is promoting SPF as an anti-spam solution?  I'd really like to know.

SPF will not prevent your domain from being forged, without great
diligence by now anonymous email providers, as well as, universal
compliance at each public MTA,

Absolute security requires absolute deployment.  Not even PGP is going to
absolutely guarantee the authenticity of your messages if 95% of the world
can't check your signatures due to lacking PGP support.

and a slew of modification made to every email client.

Nonsense.  Show us why.

I can not accept the premise there are no serious concerns related to
publishing SPF records.  No scheme without a reputation assessment will
prevent email abuse.

SPF is about establishing authenticity.  Reputation assessment is separate.

Abusers are among the first to adopt changes offering greater access.

He who favors messages simply because they yield SPF "Pass" results has not
understood SPF.

Abusers may actually utilize your SPF records to usurp previously good
reputations.

Only if you let them.

What is worse, redemption of your reputation may not be practical.

So, are you saying that the concepts of accountability and reputation are
fundamentally flawed?

Besides, did I mention reputation assignment and assessment is separate
from SPF?

The rest I don't bother commenting on.  I advise people to make up their
own minds instead of buying into FUD.

Beware, SPF may bite!

Woof, indeed!