[spf-discuss] Re: Additional appeal against publication of draft-lyon-senderid-* in regards to its recommended use of Resent- header fields in the way that is inconsistant with RFC2822

2005-08-30 02:12:59
William,

We will consider this together with the other appeal.

Brian E Carpenter
IETF Chair
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM

william(at)elan.net wrote:

Hello Brian,

  With IESG already considering other issues with publication of
draft-lyon-senderid-core as experimental RFC, I'd like to request it
also formerly consider and make determination in regards to issues
raised at the very end of MARID regarding use of Resent- header fields
by draft-lyon-senderid-core and draft-lyon-senderid-pra which appears
to be in violation of the RFC2822 intended use of those fields.

  The more fundamental problem in regards to this issue and the issue
raised by Julian Mehnle is that it appears that so-called SenderID
experiment is not limited to only those who wish to participate it,
but has effects on other internet users, in particular those who want
to use only SPF (Classic SPF) as well as those who interpret and use Resent- fields (they can not be certain when looking at received email if fields had been added by user action at MUA in according with RFC2822 or in automated manner by forwarding entity as required by senderid)
and this problem must be addressed before such publication is approved
by IESG as official IETF experiment.

The details of the appeal listed below are largely copy of my previous
message to IESG on this subject, those interested can also see:
 http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg04713.html
 http://www.imc.org/ietf-822/mail-archive/msg05670.html
 http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg05774.html

Details of the objection in regards to RFC2822 specified Resent fields:

1. Recommendations for forwarders incompatible with RFC2822

Ref: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lyon-senderid-core-01.txt

| 7.2 E-Mail Forwarders
|
|   In order to pass the PRA variant of the test, a program that forwards
|   received mail to other addresses MUST add an appropriate header that
|   contains an e-mail address that it is authorized to use.  Such
|   programs SHOULD use the Resent-From header for this purpose.

The above is is incompatible with the section 3.6.6 of RFC2822:

Ref: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt

| Note: Reintroducing a message into the transport system and using
|   resent fields is a different operation from "forwarding".
|   "Forwarding" has two meanings: One sense of forwarding is that a mail
|   reading program can be told by a user to forward a copy of a message
|   to another person, making the forwarded message the body of the new
|   message.  A forwarded message in this sense does not appear to have
|   come from the original sender, but is an entirely new message from
|   the forwarder of the message.  On the other hand, forwarding is also
|   used to mean when a mail transport program gets a message and
|   forwards it on to a different destination for final delivery.  Resent
|   header fields are not intended for use with either type of
|   forwarding.

This objection was discussed at MARID [1] and was found to be valid based on the answer by Pete Resnick [2] and in subsequent discussion in jabber conference [3].

Note: Same objection applies to section 7.3 of senderid-core document
which requires use of Resent- fields by mail lists