Re: The purpose of this mailing list

1997-09-11 18:24:42
At 5:54 PM -0700 9/11/97, Charles Breed wrote:
      2. PGP as a Public Key (Cert) Infrastruture
(we have *lots* of real life experience at MIT, and other places worldwide)

Thanks for clarifying this. My comment earler about the key server lookup
protocol not being germain was from not seeing anything like it in the
charter. If you as the charter writer think that this was covered, and the
rest of the group agrees (as most of the folks have), then it should
certainly be part of the work. As folks who have worked in other IETF
Working Groups know, things that were "meant" to be in the charter but not
stated early in the process usually get forgotten.

      4. handling MIME

Jon and I just talked, and we agreed that his earlier statement that this
group was not supposed to do the follow-on to PGP/MIME was a
misunderstanding. PGP/MIME is the description of handling PGP objects in
MIME, and is thus appropriate for the group to discuss. It's certainly one
part of what we're doing here.

This might sound like way-too-much for the group to handle...

Well, at least you didn't put the PGP API in the list. :-)

--Paul E. Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium