Re: Is PGP still private?

1997-10-18 14:19:14
G'day all.

Kent Crispin wrote:

Your reencryption scheme fails because of the management of the short
term encryption keys, among other things.  Here's another approach I
will toss out, without thinking through:

How about formalizing superencryption, or tunneling? That is, treat
CMR traffic as a transport medium for messages that are themselves
already encrypted.  The "key" idea here is to allow layering of non
CMR traffic over CMR traffic.  All the code for both is obviously
already in PGP, with a little glue and perhaps some minor protocol
mods...

If we start considering that, could I suggest making the system
_completely_ flexible?

The sort of things I'm thinking of include:  Allow any object to be
encrypted using conventional encryption (including conventional
encryption keys) or signed, allow any conventional encryption key to
be public-key encrypted or split, conjunction/disjunction of two
conventional keys, etc.

Disadvantages:

        - Greatly complicates the decryption process.  In particular,
          decrypted streams must be fed back into PGP.

        - Difficult for an end-user to specify what combination of
          features they want.

        - This working group would be around for years arguing about
          details. :-)

Advantages:

        - Allows PGP to be used for lots of things that we haven't
          thought of yet.

        - File format could be considerably simplified, if we could
          scrap the old format.  (Unrealistic, but what the hell.)

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage