Re: Software implementig Hierarchical trust

1997-10-29 15:55:47
At 04:20 PM 10/29/97 GMT, Lutz Donnerhacke wrote:
   * Salvatore Nesta wrote:
   >Existing software implement the Hierarchical trust? And, if not, why?

   Yes, there is such software: X.509 implementations. *grd*

   No, there is not such an implementation for PGP keys. The draft only
   describes the trust models in gereral and later the trust model realized.
   There are two other models missing... waiting for an editor.

Actually, there is one, it's the meta-introducer system in PGP 5.5.

I'm assembling together my draft of OP-Messaging from the June draft, my
notes, Lutz's work, and Hal Finney's work. I should be done in a few days.

As I remember, there are supposed to be a family of documents, with trust
models, key servers, and so on in a different document from the one I'm
editing. That one contains the packet/record layout, along with the
algorithms.

Trust models, validity algorithms, and so on belong in the other document.

        Jon

-----
Jon Callas                                  jon(_at_)pgp(_dot_)com
Chief Scientist                             555 Twin Dolphin Drive
Pretty Good Privacy, Inc.                   Suite 570
(415) 596-1960                              Redwood Shores, CA 94065
Fingerprints: D1EC 3C51 FCB1 67F8 4345 4A04 7DF9 C2E6 F129 27A9 (DSS)
              665B 797F 37D1 C240 53AC 6D87 3A60 4628           (RSA)