IDEA licensing vs RSA licensing (Re: What do we have to do today?)

1997-10-31 16:40:58

Gene Hoffman <hoffmang(_at_)pgp(_dot_)com> writes:
I find it interesting that everyone is ignoring the IDEA patent. I'm
actually much more concerned about that encumberance as it is almost
worldwide.

Perhaps it is that Ascom are easy to do business with: they have fixed
reasonable licensing rates, and bulk discounts for those who want to
pay more money up front.

RSA on the other hand have a history of being hard to do business with
stories about rates being based on "how much money do you have."  PRZ
knows all about RSADSI -- in fact some of the rumors are that PRZ's
investigation was instigated by RSA causing trouble.  Also the more
recent legal threat from RSA.

Can you license RSA from Cylink now?  What are they like?

Also with RSA something which seems to be missing from the discussion
is that they allow use of RSA under various circumstances provided you
use their RSAREF library.

Anyway, I agree with the people who are arguing for MUST for 3DES,
DSA, Elgamal; and SHOULD for RSA, IDEA, MD5, and MAY for the rest.

Adam
--
Now officially an EAR violation...

print pack"C*",split/\D+/,`echo "16iII*o\U(_at_){$/=$z;[(pop,pop,unpack"H*",<>