Regulation: Self-Imposed or Goverment Mandated

1997-11-04 16:04:24
I have no doubt that the following is meant to apply to PGP and other
crypto-methods, both inside and eventually outside the United States.
Any suggestions?  Or, should it be ignored until it is mandated?

CYBERSPACE REGULATION:  DO IT YOURSELF OR HAVE IT DONE TO YOU

In a speech to advertisers, Ira Magaziner, the Clinton
administration's advisor on Internet issues, said:  "The
tremendous economic benefits of the Internet will not work
if we don't get efficient industry self-regulation on issues
like privacy and content, especially in the children's area.
If you fail, we will have to go the legislative route.  That
gets caught up in the political process and will be less
rational and efficient."

(New York Times Cybertimes 4 Nov 97)