Re: How many 2.6 users?

1997-11-05 15:17:23
Ian Grigg wrote:
Gene Hoffman wrote:
I think that comparing what is in use today (90K DSA/ElGamal keys versus
20K RSA keys) with how many total copies of an old piece of software
were distributed is a logical flaw.

I must admit that I don't know how the 4 million was calculated,

Now I remember where the figure of 4 million users of PGP software comes
from.  Check out the latest PGP Inc publicity release
[vinnie(_at_)vmeng(_dot_)com:

    PGP APPROVED TO EXPORT STRONG ENCRYPTION TO
    BANKS WORLDWIDE TO PROTECT FINANCIAL
    COMMUNICATIONS AND TRANSACTIONS

    [snip]
    About PGP
    .... With over four million users in 50 countries ...

But the issue keeps getting raised, so in order to clarify this
situation, let's find out.  How can we work out how many pgp2.6 users
are out there?  I've got one suggestion: post to cypherpunks these
questions:

( To cap off my recent survey, I got a smattering of responses that
combined gave 0, 0, and 10-25% usage by pgp5.x keys.  Not statistically
significant, but zero support for any notion that pgp5.x keys are of a
worthwhile percentage. )

Having established that we all agree that the user base of PGP software
is in the order of four millions, and the user base for PGP Inc's 5.x
products is also in the order of 100k, can we put the shaggy dog tales
to bed and accept that the community is using legacy software?

Now we just need to come up with a suitable proposal that seeks not to
disenfranchise the four million in order to meet the IETF policy.

Can someone please post or point me at an authoritive reference to the
IETF policy that has been mentioned, to whit, will not accept encumbered
algorithms.

( While we're at it, it has been mentioned that there is an IETF policy
that there be an unencumbered implementation - does anybody have an
authoritive reference on that as well?)

--
iang                                      systemics.com

FP: 1189 4417 F202 5DBD  5DF3 4FCD 3685 FDDE on pgp.com