Re: PGP/MIME2

1997-11-27 17:10:03
This is an interesting point. RFC 1847 is elegant, but it seems that
no-one else is following it. If S/MIME isn't

S/MIME is, and also some email apps implement it

However, for simply wrapping
PGP data, we could have an application/pgp-data type.

I would strongly protest the use of application/pgp-data type or
application/anything. The trouble with using the MIME application type is
that is limits you to a string of binary octets, which basically  restricts
us to plain text *or* a file.

Whereas multipart/encrypted (RFC 1847) contains a single MIME object, and
that MIME object can contain anything - plain text *and* rich text *and*
file attachments. And they can all be collectively signed.

Having said this I also believe specifying a transport protocol is out of the
scope of this spec. Its a complex enough subject that it requires a group
of its own.

--
Lindsay Mathieson
Black Paw Communications