Re: expedience, consensus and editing

1997-11-30 03:26:46
On Sat, 29 Nov 1997 20:54:29 -0800 (PST),
Ned(_dot_)Freed(_at_)innosoft(_dot_)com wrote
to ietf-open-pgp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org:
If you don't want the [message/external-body] pointer then the right
answer is to define a MIME type for a existing PGP detached signature
object.

Would RFC 2015 application/pgp-signature (outside a multipart/signed
body) suit?  Would this be a good way to support several signatures over
the same content?  (Possibly from different entities, or using different
algorithms, or mixing OpenPGP/MIME and S/MIME....)

Most application/pgp-signature examples I've seen put ASCII-armored sigs
in the body part, but I hope we can move towards binary detached
signatures that gateways could encode and decode at need to take
advantage of cleaner transports and storage, and without redundant
"-----BEGIN stuff" delimiters.