Re: DSS lengths

1997-12-04 18:45:12
[DSA 1Kbit limit]
I've tried in OP-FORMAT not to talk about this -- I don't want to limit an
implementation to 1024 bits, nor to mandate how to get a larger hash value.
Is there something I need to change in the spec?

It would be a good idea to at least warn people about this, because without it
people will (a) use keys > 1K bits thinking they're getting extra security, or
(b) try to cobble together their own hash functions to get > 160 bits output.
It's probably worth a note in the "Security Considerations" section to say that
people shouldn't do this.

Peter.