G10: The Free PGP Replacement

1997-12-20 07:50:18

I haven't seen this announced here before, and thought it might interest peo=
ple

(if someone ports it to the Macintosh, please let me know :)     )

http://www.d.shuttle.de/isil/g10.html
G10

The Free PGP Replacement
                                        Overview

I recently started a project to replace PGP by a free utility. PGP is not
free software in the sense of freedom as
defined by the GPL; so I decided to write a replacement.

                                          Goals

       GPLed
       Full replacement of PGP
       Does not use any patented algorithms.
       Using ElGamal, Blowfish and RIPE-MD-160 as algorithms.
       Hooks to add a RSA module, so that non U.S. users are able to reuse
there signed keys. RSA will be
       completely back on Sep 20th, 2000.
       Better functionality, including some security enhancements.
       Can be used as a filter.
       Support for Unix, GNU, OS/2, MSDOS, Windoze, NT.
       Uses the PGP packet format as described in RFC1991 with some
enhancements.
       New algorithms are easy to implement.

                                       More infos

The primary FTP site for G10 is ftp.guug.de. But note, that there is no
code available yet; I will put up a first
ALPHA version before christmas.

You can subscribe to the mailing list g10(_at_)net(_dot_)lut(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk
by sending a mail
with the word "subscribe" in the body
to g10-request(_at_)net-lut(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk(_dot_) An archive of the list is
also available here.

A related project is psst..., a free ssh/sshd replacement.

                                          Status

Done:

       create signatures and detached signatures.
       checking signatures (data and keys).
       encrypt and decrypt (public key and conventional).
       List and check keyrings
       Print fingerprints
       Self signatures are added to generated keys.
       RSA and ElGamal Key generation.
       Ripe-MD-160 used for hashing.
       Works inside a pipe w/o any temporary files.
       autoconf/configure works.
       using armor files works.
       compressing stuff implemented.
       Some enhancements to make it somewhat compatible with the OpenPGP
draft.
       Added SHA-1.
       Added configuration stuff (options file)

Not yet done:

       Trust packets.
       Keyring management (partly done)
       Old style signatures
       Documentation.
       DSA, subkeys etc.
       and, and, and ....

Updated: 18.12.97

        Merry christmas, and Happy New Year.
        Joyeux No=EBl et Bonne Anne.
        Feliz navidad y prospero a=F1o nuevo.

Robert Guerra - PGP public key available on PGP key servers
Email-> mailto:az096(_at_)freenet(_dot_)toronto(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
Home Page-> http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/3378