Re: The canonical <CR><LF> in rfc2015

1998-01-23 01:55:03
At 02:46 PM 1/23/98 +0900, Hiroyuki Yamada wrote:
I have a question about PGP signed data in section 5-(1)(2)(3)
of rfc2015. It requires <CR><LF> for end of each lines instead
of <NL>.  Could anybody have any reason for it ?

Different operating systems have different conventions for
representing the end of a line.  Unix uses <LF> ( = <NL> ).
MS-DOS uses <CR><LF> as do some other systems.  I think
Macintoshes may use <CR>.  So if you want to sign a document
on one system and verify the signature on the other,
you have to know which convention is being used,
or hope that the your operating system, the signer's operating
system, or some glue in between did not change the newline.
If you always sign the same version, this doesn't happen,
and <CR><LF> probably will not do Bad Things on most systems.
                                Thanks!
                                        Bill
Bill Stewart, bill(_dot_)stewart(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com