Re: Proposal for new Attribute packet

1998-03-10 17:22:11
In <v04003a00b12b6f31fa32(_at_)[161(_dot_)69(_dot_)9(_dot_)50]>, on 03/10/98
   at 02:42 PM, Will Price <wprice(_at_)pgp(_dot_)com> said:

The only intent is to extend the user ID packet format to allow
extensions in the future so that we're not locked into a non-extensible
format which supports only strings.  What a particular implementation
decides to do with that ability is again outside the scope of the
discussion.  For convenience and because it is simple, a photo ID
constant has been defined and I'm sure at a later point in time, other
uses will be defined by this group.

Well if we are going to modify the userID field so that any binary data
can be used then I think that it is improtant that we add some type of
field identifyer so that the applications processing this data have some
idea of what they are dealing with.

IMHO it is a little late in the game to be adding things to the spec. I
think that there are some more pressing issues like the ability to revoke
userID's if modifying the format is still open game.

William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/esecure.html

Tag-O-Matic: What I like about MS is its loyalty to customers!