Re: New and wonderful algorithms

1998-03-13 00:49:18
* Werner Koch wrote:
Lutz Donnerhacke <lutz(_at_)taranis(_dot_)iks-jena(_dot_)de> writes:
May be in OpenPGPv2 the current approach has one octet for all algorithms.

 The scheme used by ssh v2 is extensible and does not need centralized
algorithm number assignement (plain text stings).  What about using
0xff, "my-own-algorithm(_at_)me(_dot_)somewhere" instead of 0x??.  Or if you
care
about space, add a new packet type to map those algorithm identifiers
to some numbers from the private/experimental number space.

We have a very limited schedule. Thnx to the editors (including mine) the ML
was not involved as expected. Such a major change would cause a lot of
trouble. Solving this would require about two month. We do not have this time.