Re: does same passphrase = same keys

1998-05-29 12:52:13
joe harlin (joeharlin(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com) wrote this on 5/29/98 10:54 AM:

I am using PGP 5.5.5 freeware from Network Associates.

Will using the same passphrase generate identical keys?

Just as an example, if I generate a key using the passphrase "12345",
and then I generate another key using the same passphrase, will the keys
be the same?

Thanks!

This is the wrong forum for this type of question.  Check out
http://pgp.rivertown.net and look for the PGP-USERS list. But, to answer
your question:

No, every key is different, even if they have the same passphrase.  PGP
uses different random data each time a key is generated.  It is also
worth pointing out that every time you encrypt some data, even if it is
the same data each time, you will get different encrypted output.

  --Noah--