Re: reserved ID allocation procedure

1998-07-10 14:22:21
At 10:45 PM 7/8/98 +0100, Adam Back wrote:

   It seems to me that allocating #7 for this or that which is not
   implemented yet is a good enough idea, BUT that we need someone who
   offers to act as a central clearling house to avoid collisions in IDs
   for IDs allocated between now and when work on OpenPGP 2.0 starts.

   This is necessary because for new algorithms, or new features etc.,
   there may well be multiple proposals for the same algorithm.  So
   allocating #12 to the succesful AES candidate is in itself useless,
   because there may be 2 or 3 incompatible implementations.

   Better would be to allocate #12 to Tom Zerucha, #13 to cryptix, and so
   on on demand, and then the variant which is chosen as the standard for
   inclusion in OpenPGP 2.0 can use that ID.

   Thoughts?

I expect that IANA will be distributing numbers for OpenPGP algorithms much
the way they distribute other numbers. People working on experiments have
11 numbers in each category to use. There are even 4 packet types reserved
for experiments.

I proposed reserving an algorithm number for AES in Washington last
December, and the answer from the working group was to wait until AES is
selected.

        Jon

-----
Jon Callas                                  jon(_at_)pgp(_dot_)com
CTO, Total Network Security                 3965 Freedom Circle
Network Associates, Inc.                    Santa Clara, CA 95054
(408) 346-5860
Fingerprints: D1EC 3C51 FCB1 67F8 4345 4A04 7DF9 C2E6 F129 27A9 (DSS)
              665B 797F 37D1 C240 53AC 6D87 3A60 4628           (RSA)