Re: New packets in PGP 6.0

1998-09-05 15:32:08
In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)3(_dot_)96(_dot_)980905224152(_dot_)2592D-100000(_at_)dns(_dot_)h(_dot_)rubin(_dot_)ch>,
 on 09/05/98
   at 11:19 PM, Patrick Feisthammel <listen(_at_)rubin(_dot_)ch> said:

Hi!

The PGP 6.0 seems to introduce new packet types.

The photo pictures are in a package with the tag 17.
The signature binding the photo to the key seems to be a normal sig of
type 0x10 (Generic certification of a UserID and Public Key Packet).

Some questions arise:

1. Is it save to ignore any unknown packet?
If yes, perhaps it shoul be added to the -08 spec after the list of
packet tags in the chapter "Packet Tags".

2. What format do the x.509 keys have in PGP 6.0 keyrings?
(Does someone have a sample?)

3. Will Open PGP support x.509 keys? I found some discussing on the list
but no final decision.

4. For the keyserver folks: PGP 6.0 seams to strip the image packets, if
the keyserver is not a Certificate Server 2.0...

I find this quite troubling.

What exactly is the point of having a RFC if the PGP guys at NAI are not
going to follow it? I had made the assumption that the PhotoID was being
added as a subpacket to the self-signature, as this would be supported by
the I-D and seemed like a logical place to put it.

Note to the NAI people on the list:

You guys have know about this PhotoID for some time now. Why is it that we
are only hearing about this now? And even more germane, why are we hearing
about it from someone other than one of you?

If every time NAI makes a new release we have to hack through the code and
the output, what is the point of having an RFC at all?? It does not bode
well for a standard when the principle vendor breaks it with their 1st
release.

I am not happy with this at all.

William H. Geiger III  http://www.openpgp.net

OS/2 PGP 5.0 at: http://www.openpgp.net/pgp.html