Semantics of having multiple encrypted data packets

1998-11-26 07:10:11
To provide for random read/write semantics, we would like to chain
multiple Symmetrically Encrypted Data Packets, each of constant length.
In RFC 2440, this is not listed as one of the message formats.

Therefore, we suppose that our approach is not standards compliant. But
does any of you see a better way to support random access without
re-encrypting the whole message each time? Will other implementations be
able to understand this? Could we even tweak the standard into this
direction (ignoring that we're a few weeks late)?

cu
Andi, Marcel