Revising RFC 2015 (was: OpenPGP agenda for Dec 7)

1998-12-01 07:05:50
I don't want to go into the details, but just enumerate some basic
objections against Kazu Yamamoto's internet-draft document.

- This draft _duplicates_ the length of RFC 2015 without adding
  essential new information.  Instead, the wheel is re-invented from
  the beginning.  I'd prefer using an appropriately modified version
  of RFC 2015.

- The author's assumption that most E-Mail gateways are 8-bit clean
  nowadays is simply not true.  There is an incredible amount of
  broken gateways out there, so a revised version of 2015 should
  stick with the conservative model of that RFC (and the Security
  Multiparts standard) and not emit any 8-bit-data.

- The author's assumption about the non-importance of ASCII armor
  with non-MIME aware user agents is wrong.  More specifically, such
  MUAs could still PGP-decrypt PGP/MIME encapsulated encrypted
  messages.  They won't be able to do this with MIME encoding of
  these messages.

- The conceptual model (section 4) doesn't belong into this
  document.  MUAs _may_ decide to use it, but they may as well
  decide to do something completely different, like true one-pass
  processing using a complex state machine.

  Nevertheless, it's correct and important to have in mind that a
  PGP/MIME document should _not_ touch the definition of internals
  of OpenPGP objects.  Additionally, one should note that a PGP/MIME
  document doesn't need to define any semantics which are a
  consequence of other MIME documents or of the OpenPGP spec.

- The conceptual model the author describes leads to some funny
  conclusions and even funnier "definitions" with respect to the
  micalg parameter of multipart/signed body parts.  There is no
  proper definition of this parameter's value, and finally, we read
  that it MUST be ignored.  On the other hand, the micalg parameter
  is _permitted_ with signed-then-encrypted body parts where it
  doesn't belong: Adding it would mean leaking encrypted content.

  I'd suggest a complete revision of this part of the draft in the
  spirit of the Security Multiparts spec.  (Alternatively, stick
  with 2015's wording.)

  The PGP/MIME document should note that there is a canonical
  one-to-one mapping from OpenPGP hash algorithm identifiers to
  PGP/MIME micalg parameters. This mapping should be desribed;
  additionally, the currently defined micalg parameters should be
  listed.  Doing so will avoid revising the PGP/MIME document every
  time a new OpenPGP hash algorithm identifier is defined.

- Some of the semantic notes (like permitting the user to select the
  secret key to use for signatures) have nothing at all to do with
  the definition of PGP/MIME content types.  Other notes, e.g., that
  there may be multiple levels of PGP/MIME encapsulation, are not
  needed because they are a corollary from the general MIME semantics.

  These notes should not be part of a PGP/MIME document.

- Interesting points, such as the question how to permit multiple
  signatures, are left out.  (This would be an extension of the
  Secure Multiparts RFC and should be carefully considered.)

For these reasons, I'd like to porpose to start from RFC 2015 and
add the absolutely necessary points to that text.  If there is
interest in following this direction of work, I'm willing to make up
a revised version of 2015 in ID format and post it to this mailing
list within the next two days, possibly even this evening (European
time).

tlr