Re: OpenPGP agenda for Dec 7

1998-12-02 06:03:35
From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii(_at_)openpgp(_dot_)net>
Subject: Re: OpenPGP agenda for Dec 7
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 15:21:38 -0500

Just reading through the ID here and I would really like to see the
functionality of multiple signatures added. There are several
scenarios where multiple signatures per data object would be useful
and it would be helpful to have this outlined so there is
compatibility between the openpgp apps in processing such messages.

I can write something up on it after I have gone through the
complete ID.

OK. Let me give you historical information on such efforts.

I wrote a multi-signature extension for PGP/MIME and submitted to
IETF. Since it has been expired, I put it on web.

        http://pgp.iijlab.net/draft-kazu-pgpmime-multisig-00.txt

Then, when the ietf-pgp-mime ml was active, Dave Del Torto worte a
revision of RFC 2015, called P/MIME. This draft was not submitted to
IETF but sent the ML only. I also put this draft on web (I'm very
sorry if this is agaist Dave's intentional.)

        http://pgp.iijlab.net/pmime

Both approaches are based on multipart/*. I would ask William to
compare both the multipart/* approach and the PGP packet approach.
(e.g. the multipart/* approach can handle both PGP/MIME and S/MIME
signature at one but the latter can't.)

My experience says that the most difficult point is how to define
semantics of multiple signatures. (e.g. if verification of the first
signature succeeds and that of the second fails, how can we treat
this?)

--Kazu