Re: Agree with PRZs MDC suggestion

1999-05-19 08:51:12
tzeruch(_at_)ceddec(_dot_)com writes:

We are in agreement that there should be no mechanism for turning the MDC
off.  Having a mechanism for selecting a hash algorithm is different, and
I don't see it as leaving the same openings.

And when the NIST comes up with a wider hash for the DSA-plus (or whatever
it will then be called) you absolutely, positively never ever want to be
able to use it here?  (Or if OpenPGP comes up with a wider DSA, say SHA

Not for the purpose of a MDC, even the 160 bit digest is overkill, but
we already have to use it elsewhere so it does make sense to use it.

wider, i.e. better (PRZ can do a commercial for GM) hash algorithm, since

(What is GM?)

some mechanism for a 256 or 320 bit hash, maybe without the NISTs help, we
can use a modified DSA, and depricate and drop ElGamal signatures.  And if

But a MDC is very different to a signature and there is no need for
wider hash.

The MDCP appears first PRECEEDING the encrypted plaintext and contains
only the version number and algorithm ID(s), and a checksum word.

I think that is much to complicated and I can't see the benefit from
it.  Putting a checksum (or a copy of the algid and version number)
into the encrypted text  E(random_prefix,2_checkbytes,version_byte,
algorithm byte) is much easier and all waht we need.  We already
encode the cipher algorithm in the pk-encoded sessionkey - so why I
see no argument why not putting additional input into the encrypted
packet.

Then the real MDCP but is 20 (or whatever the hash length(s) is(are) )
bytes longer than the one at the top, and has a checksum which reflects
the full packet.

Why an extra checksum if we already have an MDC?

--
Werner Koch at guug.de           www.gnupg.org           keyid 621CC013