Re: Recent spam

2000-01-18 10:59:33
Absolutely.  The spam here is totally absurd.

Again however, I submit that trying to be "smart" about rejecting spam is
not the solution.  The people who send spam will always figure out a way
around it.  The immediate solution here is to change the name of the list,
and given the urgency of the situation at this point I think we should
change the name of list to "ietf-openpgp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org" and ask for
forgiveness later.

Paul Koning wrote:

"wolfgang" == wolfgang  <wolfgang(_at_)redtenbacher(_dot_)de> writes:

 wolfgang> ...
 wolfgang> The recent developments (currently already more than 10
 wolfgang> spam postings per _day_, creating a noise vs. signal ratio
 wolfgang> of about 97% vs. 3%, and the spam volume is still
 wolfgang> increasing!) should prove very clearly that meanwhile spam
 wolfgang> _is_ an issue on this mailing list.

I was going along with the "just ignore it" approach last time it came
up.  But at this point I have to agree with Wolfgang that the
situation is getting really bad.  Enough so to be significant even
though I have a high speed Internet link; if I had a dialup link I
would have been forced to unsubscribe some time ago.

Wolfgang's suggestion makes sense.  Another approach that would help
some, though presumably it wouldn't be politically acceptable, is to
reject any mesage that has a "*.cn" hostname in its forwarding path.

        paul

--

Will Price, Architect/Sr. Mgr., PGP Client Products
Total Network Security Division