Re: PGP/MIME interop testing: Very first steps towards a test suite.

2000-03-31 03:51:16
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Jon Callas <jon(_at_)callas(_dot_)org> wrote:
At 11:09 AM +0100 3/30/00, Ian Bell wrote:

2.  PGP data formats

   PGP can generate either ASCII armor (described in [3]) or 8-bit
   binary output when encrypting data, generating a digital signature,
   or extracting public key data.  The ASCII armor output is the
   REQUIRED method for data transfer.

So binary-mode signatures are forbidden, and remain so in the new draft.

I don't think so.

There are two issues here -- the "mode" of the signature and the format of
the output.

I realize that now from Thomas' reply!

The mode of the signature takes into account whitespace and line-end issues.

If you are
using OpenPGP/MIME to sign a zip file (for example), you do it in binary
mode, but you armor the output.

It is a requirement that in PGP/MIME messages the signature is
calculated over the canonicalized and encoded data. By the time you
calculate the signature, the zip file data is base64 with CRLF line
endings. So:

* Is it still possible to use a binary mode signature (I think the
  answer is "yes")?

If so,

* Is there any point in using a binary-mode signature over data which by
  this point is CRLF-terminated lines of us-ascii characters?

* Can this (unnecessary) use of binary-mode lead to
  backwards-compatibility problems?

* If there are compatibility problems, shouldn't there be a "SHOULD NOT
  use binary mode signatures" in the openPGP/MIME draft?

Turnpike is not an openPGP client (we use the PGP sdk itself for our
cryptographic operations) - hence there may be more things here that I
have overlooked. My interest in openPGP primarily concerns
interoperability and new extensions (like the multiple signature draft).

--
Ian Bell                                           T U R N P I K E  Ltd