[Top] [All Lists]

Re: Two AES ciphers

2000-04-10 10:22:00
At 02:49 PM 4/9/00 -0700, Jon Callas wrote:
I'd prefer to wait, myself.

As long as you are willing to simultaneously hold up progression of 2440bis, that's good thinking. However, I didn't want to assume that timing.

If NIST says there's going to be two AES ciphers, it's five minutes of work
to add it in. I'm not sending out a revision next week, or the week after.
In three to four weeks there may be another 2440bis, if we get the MDC
hammered out. If a week after that I have to put out another draft, sure.
There's just no reason to do it now. It's not like we might run out of
algorithm numbers.

The problem is that NIST probably won't decide until September (or whenever they actually announce the winner/winners). They have explicitly said that they are going to take the one/two discussion that happens at the upcoming meeting as input for their decision. It would be nice if they say soon whether there will be one or two, but the last I heard they won't decide about one/two before they announce the winner/winners. If we don't get a firm commitment on one/two soon, then the OpenPGP WG needs to think about what we want to do about progressing 2440bis before the AES announcement.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>