Packet Numbers

2000-06-03 07:01:12
Hi,

I would like to propose to the list that we reserve a block of packet
numbers for future use by NAI's PGP & GNUPG.

This would eliminate problems of either of these vendors grabbing packet
numbers to use for new packets for production level software (PhotoID
packet is a good example).

I also propose that in exchange for providing these vendors with a block
of packet numbers that they agree to document the packet formats within a
time after using them in production level software (six months sound
good?).

Any packets that a vendor wishes to keep proprietary should stay in the
+100 range reserved for experimental packets.

tks,

William H. Geiger III      http://www.openpgp.net
Geiger Consulting

Data Security & Cryptology Consulting