Re: Quick Triple-DES Q

2000-06-04 22:57:03
At 22:06 4/06/00 -0700, Jon Callas <jon(_at_)callas(_dot_)org> wrote:

At 12:30 PM +0800 6/5/00, Erron Criddle wrote:
>To all,
>
>Has RSA allowed a royalty/payment free use of the Triple-DES algorithm for
>use in the OpenPGP standard?

No, they haven't. On the other hand, since they have utterly nothing to do
with Triple-DES, there's no need for them to. Triple-DES is a completely
open algorithm, which is why OpenPGP, as well as many other IETF standards,
use it.

Oh, sorry...

I remember reading somewhere about RSA providing payment/royalty free access one of their algorithms and I thought it was for OpenPGP...

Must have been something else :)

As for linking Triple-DES with RSA - well, I certainly don't know where that came from :)

Regards

Erron Criddle
Comasp Ltd.
ACN: 089 468 682