Re: mail client implementations problem? bcc and encrypting to multiple recipients

2000-08-22 01:56:10
At 01:33 PM 22/08/2000 +0900, sen_ml(_at_)eccosys(_dot_)com wrote:

<snip>

  since this means that each recipient receives a message containing a
  public key encrypted session key packet for each recipient, each recipient
  is able to tell who all of the recipients were (assuming no use of
  speculative key ids) -- or at least all key ids.

  even if speculative key ids were to be used, a recipient would likely
  be able to tell that there were other recipients than those implied
  in the headers of a message.  also, afaik, nai pgp doesn't support
  speculative key ids, so in terms of interroperability it's not a great
  option at this point.

As far as I'm concerned the Key ID is a complete waste of time unless a lookup is being made on a server that is automatically decrypting each message. This is OK here because you can configure the database to store the Key ID and that makes lookups easier (if there are no duplicate Key ID's). From my understanding of the Public and Private Keyring structures, you can only have a Key ID for the highest level key (self sig.) and cannot store the Key ID's for the subkeys.

For our client software, we are not doing lookups via the Key ID (as it isn't stored in the public/private keyrings), however the server version will support lookups via Key ID's.

We have found it better just to do lookups via the User ID - at least you can store that within the private /public keyring structures.

If anyone can tell me otherwise regarding the storage of Signing and Encryption Key ID's within the private/public keyrings, it would be great.

Cheers.

Regards

Erron Criddle
Comasp Ltd.