Re: mail client implementations problem? bcc and encrypting to multiple recipients

2000-08-22 21:19:19
Hal,

At 02:07 PM 22/08/2000 -0700, Hal wrote:

Erron Criddle writes:
> As far as I'm concerned the Key ID is a complete waste of time unless a
> lookup is being made on a server that is automatically decrypting each
> message. This is OK here because you can configure the database to store
> the Key ID and that makes lookups easier (if there are no duplicate Key
> ID's).

I am confused about whether you are talking about decryption or
encryption.

Decryption.

  The OpenPGP message formats only allow for using keyids to
indicate which key should decrypt.

Yes, I know.

  If you are decrypting, isn't looking up by keyid the only possibility?

If you're not using speculative Key ID's and you're talking about sigs, yes.

  There is no userid to tell you which key to decrypt with.

Yes; if the headers have been stripped from the email message - no; if they're not :)

> From my understanding of the Public and Private Keyring structures,
> you can only have a Key ID for the highest level key (self sig.) and cannot
> store the Key ID's for the subkeys.

No, subkeys can have keyids too.  A PKESK packet should use the keyid of
the specific subkey which can decrypt it.

OK, here is where I am confused. For example, a tag 14 (Public Subkey Packet) hasn't the facility to store the Key ID and from reading the tag 2 (signature packet), you cannot store the key ID's there either - either within the sig. packet or a subpacket of the signature. Where exactly do you store the Key ID of an encryption subkey...I am totally bamboozled!

> For our client software, we are not doing lookups via the Key ID (as it
> isn't stored in the public/private keyrings), however the server version
> will support lookups via Key ID's.
>
> We have found it better just to do lookups via the User ID - at least you
> can store that within the private /public keyring structures.
>
> If anyone can tell me otherwise regarding the storage of Signing and
> Encryption Key ID's within the private/public keyrings, it would be great.

If you are talking about decryption, I don't see how you do it.

The type of software we are implementing will allow us to do this.

And what about signature verification? Again in that case the OpenPGP message
only has the signing keyid.  Don't you have to do a lookup by keyid to
verify the sig?

Sorry, I didn't clarify enough - when I refer to using User ID's, I am referring to decryption, not verification. The signature Key ID's can be looked up via the self sig.

However, once again, I am still baffled as to where the Key ID is stored for an encryption subkey :) I have looked at the tag 2 packet (sig) and I can only see that you can store a Key ID in a signature subpacket for a signing key - but what is the subpacket type to use for a Key ID? Has a new one been created? Can we create one for Key ID?

Regards

Erron Criddle
Comasp Ltd.
Level 2, 45 Stirling Hwy