Re: the joys of public key-rings (NOT)

2000-10-23 09:18:24
On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 03:16:33PM +0800, Erron Criddle wrote:
To all,

We have downloaded a PGP 5.0 Key-Ring from a key-server and expecting a new
format (OpenPGP) header (0xC6) with a version 4 public key (new format
packet), we are getting an old format header (0x99) with a version 4 public
key (new format packet)!

This is withing spec.

So, what to do for the transfer of public key-rings????

Do we use:

1) old format headers with old format packets
2) old format headers with new format packets
3) new format headers with old format packets, or:
4) new format headers with new format packets???

Yes.  In that you should accept all formats.  The header/encapsulation
should be separate from the actual packet formats.

Please help as we are just sitting here drinking lots and want to get back
to programming and testing...

If you want to be nice, you should encapsulate old format packets in
old format headers, and new in new.