Re: Dash-escaping and the Usenet sig convention

2001-01-03 04:40:16
On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Rodney Thayer <rodney(_at_)tillerman(_dot_)to> wrote:

I agree with Jon on this.  Insisting that the world suddenly change
to MIME is not helping the adoption of PGP, in fact, it makes it harder
as people tend to delete these nasty MIME messages.  It's even worse with
windows, as the (almost unreadable) "...ems" message

The ".ems" message is a function of the particular client you are using,
not of Windows clients in general.

looks annoyingly
similar to a (usually unreadable) SMIME message.

PGP/MIME signed messages should always be readable by MIME-compliant
clients - the checking of the signature is another matter.

I think we should be be building systems that INCREASE the usage of
this technology, not decrease it.

The usage of PGP in the general email-using population will probably
only increase after PGP/MIME becomes much more widely supported. The
ordinary user is going to be very bemused by being told they should use
PGP, only to find that problems arise if they send attachments, use 8bit
characters, forward messages etc.

--
Ian Bell                                           T U R N P I K E