Re: some requests

2001-01-26 03:34:04
On 2001-01-26 16:19:12 +0900, Kazu Yamamoto wrote:

+     Note: If any line begins with the string "From", it is strongly
+     recommended that Quoted-Printable encoding be applied and that at
+     least one of the characters in the string is encoded using the
+     hexadecimal coding rule.  This is because many mail transfer
+     agents treat "From " (the word "from" followed immediately by a
+     space character) as the start of a new message and thus insert a
+     right angle-bracket (>) in front of any line beginning with "From"
+     to distinguish this case, invalidating the signature.

This language is strongly recommending QP to any character sets
including ISO-2022-*, for which QP is not suitable.

It should be clear from the context that this note does not
recommend quoted-printable when you are using base64 anyways.

And I believe the redundant encoding above should be a user choice,
should not be required by the spec.

Now, guess why this is in a Note section, and not in the body of the
text.  But we can even replace "strongly recommended" by
"suggested".

(And no, this won't be in draft-03 which I submitted yesterday.)

--
Thomas Roessler                     <roessler(_at_)does-not-exist(_dot_)org>