Re: Limited utility of master/subkey

2001-02-07 06:43:12
On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Michael Young wrote:

Does PGP7 or GnuPG provide the ability to use a separate
passphrase for the master key and its subkeys?  I'd like to

GnuPG in part.  If the subkey's passphrase is different it will ask
you for this passphrase.  However, it is not possible to set a
different passphrase for a subkey.

There is a hack which allows you to create a secret key without a
usable primary key:  grep the FAQ for --export-secret-subkeys

is possible.  I also see no way to generate a signing subkey.
Yes, I can create a completely separate key-signing key,

You can do this with GnuPG, but there are probably some problems
using this sign-only subkey: currently GnuPG favors the primary key
for this.  This will be changed soon.

Ciao,

  Werner

--