Compatibility testing goals and planning

2001-03-19 18:51:11
Earlier this month I proposed an interoperability testing meeting for OpenPGP. A number of people have responded they are interested in participating, and I've given some more thought to what we want to accomplish. Rod Thayer and I had the opportunity to discuss it further today, and a plan is beginning to take shape.

The OpenPGP Oven-Cooking Competition (in deference to a local Minneapolis company who feels another name impinges their reputation) is intended to test compliance with 2440 in a variety of scenarios. I'll provide a compliance matrix for the 2440 requirements that implementers can use as a guide. The matrix will be reviewed both by Rod and by Jon Callas to make sure I haven't missed anything important, or misstated anything. And, of course, it will be published to this list as soon as possible for your review. Uses of OpenPGP we anticipate testing are PGP/MIME, TLS over OpenPGP, and IPSec over OpenPGP. We'll verify interoperation of key generation, signing and verification. We're considering ways to verify key server interoperability. However, there are no published protocols for this. So I'm not sure what we can accomplish in this area. We'd like to test implementations of the AES algorithms, as well as the mandated algorithms in 2440. Execution speed isn't nearly as important as correct execution of the protocols and underlying algorithms. But bear in mind that I don't expect the meeting to last more than 2 days. <grin>

Rod will create a more detailed test plan which we'll publish for comments on the list. I'd like to aim at holding the Oven-Cooking Competition sometime during June or July so that we can publish our status on 2440 in time for the London meeting. Some people have indicated they won't be able to participate in person, so one of the things I'll arrange is a means for people to also test remotely. However, I want to emphasize how valuable face-to-face meetings are for interoperability testing. We'll be able to solve problems interactively, and discover issues that otherwise may take a long time to surface.

These are my general goals for the meeting. Please comment and offer suggestions. That's the best way to insure this little confab serves your needs as implementers and users of OpenPGP.

--

john noerenberg
jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com