Re: pgp-6.5.8 secret key keyID export bug? / rfc doesn't specify keyIDs

2001-03-23 21:18:34
Adam writes:
actually it looks like gnuPG does the same thing as PGP.

I'm presuming the keyID includes the private key components for private
keys, so the private key has a different keyID even though the gui doesn't
display it that way, if you display the contents of the private key file.

So I guess you have to compute the keyID rather than reading it in form the
secret key file if you're working from a secret key and not a public key.

The keyID is not present as a field in key packets.  It must be computed
from the key data.  For DSA keys it is defined as the last 64 (or 32)
bits of the fingerprint, which is itself a hash of the data in the public
key packet.

Probably that packet-dump program you were using computes keyids
incorrectly for private key packets.  It is probably hashing too much
data.

Hal