Re: Fix the secret key packet, not the S2K

2001-03-29 00:32:51
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Michael Young wrote:

First, the secret key packet as such doesn't have a version number.

There is no deep reason that it couldn't.  Instead of forcing a
tight coupling between the two, give it its own version byte
(starting with 5).  The whole public key packet (or just its contents)

The problem ist that this is not a local change but _may_ affect
other parts of an implementation.  For example, at a couple of
places we have to check whether this is a v[23] or v4 packet and if
at some place a version == 4 has accidently been used this would
lead to a lot of other bugs.  We are currently planning for
interoperability tests and such a change may delay those test even
further.  By not changing the the packet version number we can
implement that as a implementation specific change and don't have to
change the specs right now.

Ciao,

  Werner

g10 Code           et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est.