Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-openpgp-mime-06.txt

2001-04-13 16:34:45
Internet-Drafts(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org writes:

      Title           : MIME Security with OpenPGP
      Author(s)       : M. Elkins, D. Del Torto, R. Levien, T. Roessler
      Filename        : draft-ietf-openpgp-mime-06.txt
      Pages           : 13
      Date            : 10-Apr-01

I know it's too late know, but while reviewing the current USEFOR
draft, I discovered that the explanation

|   Multipart/signed and multipart/encrypted are to be treated by agents
|   as opaque, meaning that the data is not to be altered in any way [2],
|   [7]. However, many existing mail gateways will detect if the next hop
|   does not support MIME or 8-bit data and perform conversion to either
|   Quoted-Printable or Base64.  This presents serious problems for
|   multipart/signed, in particular, where the signature is invalidated
|   when such an operation occurs.  For this reason all data signed
|   according to this protocol MUST be constrained to 7 bits (8-bit data
|   MUST be encoded using either Quoted-Printable or Base64).

of the 7 bit constraint fails to mention the binary/text mode
signature interoperability problem which can only be addressed if
there aren't any 8-bit characters.

(USEFOR currently overrides the analogous requirement in RFC 2015.)

--
Florian Weimer
Florian(_dot_)Weimer(_at_)RUS(_dot_)Uni-Stuttgart(_dot_)DE